The past couple of days of been working on my list of books I want to read in 2013. (I must say I am having a hard time typing that!) For fiction I am planning on reading at least 10 books from my The Classics Club list. For other fiction I am not picking any books specifically since I'm prefer to pick what interests me at the time and rely heavily on my local libraries to supply my books.
Last year was the first year I made a list of what I wanted to read and accomplished it right before the end of the year. I don't buy a lot of fiction, but I tend to buy a lot of non-fiction and then let it sit on my bookshelves, so by making these lists I have been working on going through books that have been sitting for a while and then I decide if it is a book I want to keep or give away. This would be a really good plan if I could keep new books from entering the house, but alas that is not what happens!
So here is my list for 2013:
- The Fruitful Wife: Cultivating a Love Only God Can Produce by Haley DiMarco -Recently recommended by Carrie at Reading to Know. Enough said.
Creative Counterpart : Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You Have Longed To Beby Linda Dillow - This has been sitting on my shelf for a long time. (Feb 8) Holy Intimacyby Lori Wagner - Another shelf sitter that I bought over four years ago when she was a speaker at out local woman's conference. (Jan 23) Together: Growing Appetites for Godby Carrie Ward - I saw a lot of recommendations for this book in the last few months so I indulged and purchased it. (Jan 30)
- Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child by Tim Kimmel - Another dust gatherer. To my surprise I enjoyed his book, Grace Based Parenting, so I'll give this one a go.
Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heartby Elizabeth George - Another new to me title, but hey, it's Elizabeth George and I have a hard time passing up her books. (Apr 25)
- Raising Godly Children in an Ungodly World by Ken Ham and Steve Ham - I bought this back when we visited the Creation Museum. It has been sitting by my bedside just waiting to be picked up.
10 Things Parents Must Teach Their Children (And Learn for Themselves)by Edith Schaeffer - I brought this title home in the last year from the little Friends' bookstore that I manage. Even though Edith Schaeffer doesn't quite speak to me as she does to others I found this title fascinating and have to check it out. (Mar 28)
- Fasting: Opening the door to a deeper, more intimate, more powerful relationship with God by Jentezen Franklin - Another book that has been sitting on my shelf way too long. Too be honest I hate to fast, but it something I feel I need to get back to doing.
- Small Changes for a Better Life: Daily Steps to Living Gods Plan for You by Elizabeth George - I don't know how long I've had this title, but I don't think I've read it so on my list it goes. I love Elizabeth George so I know I'm in for a treat.
- The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception by John MacArthur - I'm not sure when I acquired this book. I think in the last year when I found it for the right price. It seems like a fitting book for the world we live in today.
- With the Master on Our Knees: A Ladies' Bible Study on Prayer by Susan J. Heck - Another book I purchased in the last year or so.
School Education: Developing a Curriculumby Charlotte Mason - I've had this book for quite a few years. I've read a lot about Charlotte Mason's educational philosophies now I'm trying to read what she says about them. (Feb 6)
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within (Paperback) by Natalie Goldberg - Recommend by The Writer's Jungle by Julie Bogart which I read last year. When I found a copy at Goodwill I snatched it up. I find writing a struggle so when teaching my kids I need all the help I can get.
Marva Collins' Wayby Marva Collins - I have wanted to read this for years! I've had this copy for quite a while so on to my list it goes. (Mar 7)
- Brave Writer's Help for High School by Julie Bogart - I read The Writer's Jungle last year and this year I'm going to delve into this one to get tips for High School and get Caleb up to speed.
- Living Spaces: Bringing Style and Spirit to Your Home by Marlee Ledai - I'm not sure how long I've had this, but I always enjoy a book about home. I'm not sure if there is any hope to bringing style to my home, but I'll take the spirit.
Nesting: It's a Chick Thingby Ame Mahler Beanland & Emily Miles Terry - Another book that's been sitting on the shelf. I bought this book all because of the title (I'm a sucker for great titles!), but it does look like fun read. (Mar 4) Living Artfully: A Heart-full Guide of Ideas and Inspirations That Celebrate Life, Love, and Moments That Matterby Sandra Magsam - Another shelf sitter. I like to read a book like this now and then to help the creative juices flowing, though I don't consider myself very artsy. (Apr 8)
- 50 Moments: Scrapbook the Pages that Matter Most by Lisa Bearnson - Ummm, scrapbooking...I like to read about it, but I can't get very inspired about doing it. Maybe if I keep reading about it I'll finally get inspiration. It could happen!
- The Bible - This is not a shelf sitter, but something I do read every day. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. I'm either going to read it it all the way through or I tend not to read it at all. I discovered a couple of years ago that two chapters a day was very doable plus got me through the Bible in less than two years. This year I will read from the book of Isaiah through Revelation.