Now I come to the place where I don't quite have everything planned out and a lot still rolling around in my mind. I want to focus on Circle Time, though it gets call Bible Time more often than not. So here is a look at the extras.
Four times a week:
- The Bible - I know many use a curriculum, but I have found it easier to just read a chapter or two from the Bible. This year the goal is to read from Genesis through Leviticus. Chantry and Destini will also have their own separate Bible reading every day and Delani and I will work our way through a Children's Bible.
- Devotional - We will continue to work our way through Seeds of Jochebed (Planting Seeds of Biblical Truth into the Hearts of Your Children) by Kim Haney and How to be Your Own Selfish Pig: And Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed by Susan Schaeffer MacCauley interchangeably.
- Memorization - Bible Memory. I am still working on what passages we will work on memorization.
- Poetry - We will attempt to cover Ambleside Online's recommendations of Henry Wadworth Longfellow, John Greenleaf Whittier, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and Robert Frost.
One time a week:
- Citizenship - Plutarch's Lives. I haven't been very successful with this yet, but we will attempt it again. I also may have Destini start Ourselves by Charlotte Mason.
- Logic - How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren. This book starts in Ambleside Online's Year 7, but I thought if I started it now we may get through it by the time Destini graduates.
- Composer Study - We will listen to 2-3 composers through out the year. I haven't quite figured out which ones yet.
- Artist Study - I have three picked out, though I'll be happy if we get to two. Term 1 - The Hudson River School: Cole, Church, Cropsey, Durand, Term 2 - Fra Angelico, Term 3 - Diego Velazquez.
- Local co-op that we participate in one day a week. Chantry and Delani will have art, presentation, and P.E along with some party days and they do what is called Knights (class for the boys) and Daisies (class for the girls). Destini will be in the teen group and they will be doing a Reader's Theater, a study of personalities, and Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance.
So that is a sketch of what our year will look like. Of course, many things could change. My main goal is to find a fine balance and not overwhelm me or my kids. We will start with the basics along with Bible and then slowly add in the the rest of the extras.
Jennifer @ Chestnut Grove Academy
Crystal @ Tidbits of Experience
Rebecca @ Raventhreads
Jennifer @ Milk & Honey
Mommy Dawn @ Guiding Light
Homeschool Monique @ Living Life and Learning