Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Classics Club: 50+ Books in Five Years

 

I saw a post about The Classic Club over a week ago. The Classics Club, which is hosted by Jillian at A Room's of One's Own, is to inspire people to read and blog about at least 50 books in the next five years. I decided this would be something to stretch me in my reading. I will finish this challenge by April 2017.  Here is my list of 50 classic books that I intend to read. Update: The Classics Club is now being hosted here.

Fiction:
1. Eight Cousins - Louisa May Alcott (review)
2. Rose in Bloom - Louisa May Alcott (review)
3. Hannah Coulter - Wendell Berry (review)
4. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (re-read) READ
5. Vilette -  Charlotte Bronte DIDN'T READ
6. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck DIDN'T READ
7. The Homemaker - Dorothy Canfield DECIDED NOT TO READ
8. The Innocence of Father Brown - G.K. Chesterton READ
9. The Silver Chalice - Thomas Costain READ
10. Oliver Twist  - Charles Dickens (review)
11. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (review
12. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas CURRENTLY READING
13. Middlemarch - George Eliot (re-read) READ
14. Hitty, Her First Hundred Years - Rachel Field (review)
15. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (review)
16. Adventures of Tintin (Volume 1) - Herge (review)
17. False Colors - Georgette Heyer (review)
18. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo READ
19. Strawberry Girl  - Lois Lenski  (review)
20. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe -C.S. Lewis READ
21. Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis READ
21. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - C.S. Lewis READ
23. The Silver Chair - C.S. Lewis READ
24. The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis READ
25. The Magicians Nephew - C.S. Lewis DIDN'T READ
26. The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis READ
27. Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell READ
28. Just David - Eleanor Porter READ
29. A Girl of the Limberlost - Gene Stratton Porter (review)
30. Laddie - Gene Stratton Porter READ
31. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome (re-read) (review)
32. Swallowdale - Arthur Ransome (review)
33. Whose Body? - Dorothy Sayers (review)
34. Rob Roy - Sir Walter Scott READ
35. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe (review)
36. Mrs. Miniver - Jan Struther (review)
37. Penrod  - Booth Tarkington READ
38. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain READ
39. Ben-Hur - Lew Wallace [re-read] READ
40. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty White DIDN'T READ
41. Money in the Bank - P.G. Wodehouse [re-read] (review)
42. Uneasy Money - P.G. Wodehouse READ
43. The Swiss Family Robinson - Johann Wyss [re-read](review)

Poetry:
44. The Oxford Book of English Verse 1250-1918 - DECIDED NOT TO READ

Non-Fiction:
45. How to Read a Book - Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren - READ
46. The Complete Book of Marvels - Richard Halliburton - READ
47. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis - READ FIRST PART
48. A Philosophy of Education - Charlotte Mason (review)
49. School Education - Charlotte Mason READ
50. Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Thompson (review)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Beth! So many great titles! I hope you have fun with this and finish it with a head filled with amazing stories. Cheers, and welcome to the club. :-D

    - jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! That is a great list of titles you've made. I've read 12 and try to add 1 or two new titles a year. But I don't think I'll ever get 50 read in 5 years. Right now I'm reading Vanity Fair. I like it very much. I think Jillian is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great titles on your list! In fact, you've some that I wish I had put on mine. :-) Oh, well--what's a few more titles? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! I'm not the only fan of C.S.Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are enjoying this challenge. I've read a dozen of the books on your list, including the Chronicles of Narnia which I just reread in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I've read a few of those, and tried to read a couple more. I've also tried to read a classic or two every year, but I'm not up for doing a challenge. I'll go at my own pace. Good luck with your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails