Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Reading Goals for 2012



I've never made any reading goals that I've actually put down on paper or posted online, but I have piles of unread books in my house that need to be read. I want to focus on my personal stack of books and when I'm finished decide if I want to keep or delete.  Here are the books that are at the top of my list to be read:

1. A Philosophy of Education (Homeschooler Series) by Charlotte Mason

I love Charlotte Mason, but her books are touch reads. I want to get at least one conquered this year.

2. Letter from New York by Helene Hanff

I have really enjoyed Hanff's other books.

3. A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family by Mary Ostyn

To some I don't have a large family, but I figure I can always learn from someone who has more kids than I do!

4. Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick by Florence Littauer

I am a huge fan of Florence Littauer's books. I have had this on my shelf for forever. Now that my kids are getting older I may be able to check out their personalities.

5. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller

Carrie at Reading to Know highly recommended this book a couple of years ago. It took me awhile before I was able to get a copy and then it has just sat on my shelf. Time to blow the dust off!

6. Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence by Jane Healy

I have heard great thing about Healy's books though I am a little intimidated to read them. I am determined to read this one before my kids are too old.

7. A Mother's Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul by Holly Pierlot

I keep coming across this book, so I decided I would give it a whirl. It is written from a Catholic perspective so it should be interesting.

8. Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend

Honestly, I don't know that I really need to read this book, but it came highly recommended. I also have the one for kids which is probably the one I need to read. I thought this one might set the stage for the kid's book.

9. Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey & Stacy McDonald

This one piqued my interest and again it is one that I have had sitting around for awhile.

10. Professionalizing Motherhood: Encouraging, Educating, and Equipping Mothers At Home by Jill Savage

I brought this home a few weeks ago since I had previously read a book by Jill Savage which I really enjoyed. After I brought it home, Carrie at Reading to Know announced her Bookclub and this book is listed for September. I am hoping to join more of her Bookclub reads, but I definitely will be joining for September.

11. Parenting by The Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child by John Rosemond

Again, another book that has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I have never read a John Rosemond book, but have heard him on Focus on the Family and read different articles online.

12. That's Life: Finding Scrapbook Inspiration in the Everyday by Nic Howard

13. Life Artist by Ali Edwards

I love the thought of scrapbooking, but honestly I can't get motivated to do it. I read a recommendation for these books several years ago and added them to my collection, but have yet to read them. I am hoping for some encouragement and some help to find a relatively simply way to keep memories and enjoy doing it rather than it feeling like a chore.

14. The Writer's Jungle by Julie Bogart
 
Writing is my thorn in the flesh. I really feel inadequate to teach this to my kids. This course has come highly recommended by many mom's who are using the Ambleside Online curriculum. We'll see how it goes.

Not pictured:
15. The Organized Heart by Staci Eastin

Again, this is another book that I kept coming across review after review all last year. I was able to get it for a good price on my Kindle and even though it doesn't take up a lot of room in my house I really feel like I could use more organization in my life.
16. The Bible

I have read through my Bible many times using many different Bible Reading programs and sometimes it feels like such a chore. Two years ago I decided to commit to two chapters a day. I figured that it would take me two years to read through it. Surprisingly it only took 1 year and 9 months and I filled out that last three months of last year reading the book of Proverbs through every month.

I found reading my Bible this way was enjoyable and it didn't feel like a chore, but very doable. I have decided that this year I will start over again reading 2 chapters a day and work through my Bible in a slower, but enjoyable pace.

___________________________________


I am hoping that I make it through this pile and can start on my many other numerous piles. I know I will be reading a variety of other books. You will notice that my pile is non-fiction. That is due to the fact that I very rarely by a fiction book unless it is one I have read and have determined that I absolutely need it on my shelf. I tend to buy the non-fiction books since they are usually harder to find at the library.

So here is to being a little more purposeful in my reading.

2 comments:

  1. I love your piles! I've read parts of the CM books, but never the whole series.

    The 2 chapters a day thing really works for Bible reading. I once tried 10 chapters a day, but I couldn't focus on that much, probably because I had read it so often that I didn't concentrate. Two chapters works much better for me.
    Annie Kate
    http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an ambitious list. Don't forget to intersperse it with fun books so that reading doesn't become a chore.

    I've got Organized Heart on my Kindle too. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails