Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Reading Journal - January 6

I am going to try something a little different this year. I am having a hard time finding the time to do a book review on everything I read, so I am going to attempt to make a Reading Journal entry with a list of books I've read recently and a few brief comments on each.

Lately I've read:


The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

This was a book that I enjoyed and really gave me food for thought despite the heavy 60's political views. I was so tickled on how the main character just knew his teacher hated him, especially when she assigned him Shakespeare. He learns about human nature through Shakespeare and real life. I want to note that it was disturbing how his parent's, especially his dad, were very callous toward their children.



Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha | [Dorothy Gilman]
Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Budda - Dorothy Gillman

Mrs. Pollifax as always figures out the mystery, of course it is always after she gets herself into a heap of trouble.  This one seemed more serious though it brought back Robin Burke Jones, the reformed jewel thief,  from a previous story.




Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck

This was a cute story, but it is not Richard Peck at his finest. Or just maybe it is that I'm not crazy about mice, I don't know. I've handed it over to my daughter to see what her thoughts are.




Vintage Notions: An Inspirational Guide to Needlework, Cooking, Sewing, Fashion and Fun by Amy Barickman

This a fun read, though I wasn't too tempted to do the projects in it. What I did love was the artwork! My, my, my, just wonderful!

Here is a small sample:





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails