Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What's On Your Nightstand - February

What's On Your Nightstand

I had a very successful reading month for February. I would love to follow this routine every month, but alas, my life has way too many of moments of busyness!

For March:

From January's Nightstand I read:
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss - Excellent read. There is something in here for every woman. Highly recommended!!
  • The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful by Myquillyn Smith - Another excellent read. Are you trying to have the perfect home? Then you need to read this book. She helps you set aside your perfections that are keeping you from having a beautiful home. Now I just need to apply them!
  • The Picts & the Martyrs (Swallows & Amazons) by Arthur Ransome - A read-aloud with the kids. There is one more in the series that we haven't read, but it has not been re-published yet so now we get to wait.
  • The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen - I know many people really like this book, but I am not one of them. If you're going to write historical romance (emphasis on historical) then make sure that the characters act like they are living in the historical period. I see this all the time. Books set in the 19th century with the main characters living like it is the 21st century.
  • Third Girl (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) by Agatha Christie - I am almost finished with this series. I can honestly say I haven't really cared for these last few books. Christie's modern settings are quite jarring. 
I also read:
  • Deepest Roots of the Heart (Legacy of the Vines) by Chautona Havig - This was an okay book. I prefer Christian fiction mainly because I want a clean read. Books dealing with theological problems annoy me, especially when the author forget by the end of the book that they had a theological problem. Not that I cared what happened, but there might be someone who does!
  • Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey - A very different read compared to Tey's Inspector Grant series. There was a lot about this story that I liked, but I struggle with stories where the main character ends up being judge and jury.
  • Let Us Pray by Watchman Nee - The first book off of my 2015 Reading Goals list. I have owned this book for years and I believe it was the author was highly recommended to me. Not a favorite read, but there were a few points here and there worth reading.

I listened to:
  • So Brave, Young and Handsome by Leif Enger - I was in need in an audio book and this one available and since I have read many good reviews about it I downloaded it. A very enjoyable read.
  • Jayber Crow by Wendall Berry - I am going to go out on a branch and just state right now that Wendall Berry is not a favorite author of mine. Yes, he does write beautiful descriptions. Yes, he does have a way with words. Yes, his stories are compelling--to a point and then they get depressingly sad. This is my second Berry book and I don't think I can handle any more. In other words--he is not my cup of tea. If you find my words offensive I am very sorry.
See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Berry fan, but yes, I agree that his books can be rather depressing over all. (Nope, I'm not offended! Everyone is entitled to her opinion! ;-) )

    I LOVE Leif Enger's books and wish he'd write another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been awhile since I read Lies Women Believe, but I remember how enlightening it was to me too! The Nesting Place sounds very good.

    I'm reading an old classic right now too (Abandonment to Divine Providence) and feeling like you about Let Us Pray. It is a little laborious, but there are some very good points sprinkled in here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I have a good reading month. I'm on pretty good track to finish February pretty strong.

    I posted for the first time in a long time:
    My Nightstand Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought about the 'judge & jury' angle in Miss Pym Disposes, but you are right. That's the thing I didn't like about it - you just articulated it much better! And the ending threw me for a loop - I wasn't expecting the curveball at the end. But I do like her writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list of books.

    Jayber Crow was the first Berry's books that I read. I wasn't really sure if I liked it or not. Then a few months ago I read Hannah Coulter and I loved it. Truly. I am looking forward to another one...just not sure which to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah Coulter was the first Berry book that I read and I actually liked Jayber Crow better. Hannah Coulter really depressed me.

      Delete
  6. You have some interesting books on your upcoming reading list. I like to see other's lists. It gives me a good idea of what is out there. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me want to ditch everything and read several Agatha Christie novels just 'cause. Several people have mentioned her recently and as it has been a very long time since I've read anything by her, I feel like I'm missing out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails