Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What's On Your Nightstand - August

{Affliate links enclosed}
What's On Your Nightstand
 
I was actually surprised at how much I did read this month. In the middle of August my reading list was looking pretty bleak. We will start up school next week, so that may make a difference in my reading or actually it may mean more reading aloud to the kids and less reading to myself. I do have a few books on hold at the library, which will probably all arrive in the same day! For now, I picked 5 books which I think is doable. If I do get any from the library I may swap a title. So here goes:
 
For September:
 

From my July Nightstand:
  • Around The World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (audio) - I listened to this for a bookclub I was hoping to make it to, but that didn't happen. This was my second time reading it and I think I enjoyed it more this time than the first. It definitely has some subtle humor in it. I may do this as a read aloud for my kids.
  • The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson - Rreminiscent of the Beauty and the Beast, I found this an okay story. This is marketed for YA, but my daughter, who enjoys the story of the Beauty and the Beast, would have found it too full of romance for her taste.
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) by Dorothy Sayers - Sayer's writing is growing on me. I enjoy the fact that her mysteries have a great balance between seriousness and humor.
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? by Richard Maybury - Getting ready for Economics for the upcoming school year. I really enjoyed this book probably because it was right at my level!
  • With the Master on Our Knees: A Ladies' Bible Study on Prayer by Susan J. Heck - I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Each chapter covered a different kind of prayer in an in-depth Bible Study format plus additional things to do at the end of each chapter. Very enjoyable.
I also read:
I listened to:
  • Kim by Rudyard Kipling - This is one of the literature selections for the Ambleside Online Year 5. I decided to pre-read (or pre-listen) to it. Well, it is probably a no-go. Honestly, Kipling just doesn't do much for me and I don't find India interesting at all. Yes, I get the "spy thing", but it still didn't make it appealing enough, plus if I decided to have them read it I think it would be wiser to wait until they are older. There is a lot of mention of different religions and talk of devils which I would prefer my kids be closer to high school when sloughing through all that. Oh, and if anyone has an awesome reason for reading this please let me know.
See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.

6 comments:

  1. Don't you hate when your books on hold at the library all come at the same time? ha.

    Love your September books. I love Elizabeth George and Lysa Terkeurst. I've never read Dorothy Sayers but I need to!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Around the World in 80 Days is one of those classics I've not gotten to yet. Sounds like a good choice for an audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you did get a lot read during the month of August! I'm still working my way through Daniel Deronda.

    I think I want to read that Lysa Terkeurst book. At some point I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did accomplish a lot of reading! I have Mollie Peer sitting in my pile right now - I loved the first book too. Must add some Dorothy Sayers to my reading list at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic list! I love Elizabeth George, and I'm curious about Unglued. I've been wanting to read Penny Candy forever, and the Constitution book sounds great! Didn't you enjoy the Lee Binz transcript book? I've found all her little books on homeschooling high school realy encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tintin! My husband grew up on those comics so we had to see the movie in theaters when it was released. I really enjoyed it and now need to read the books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails