Another month has come and gone and I am dreadfully behind in posting book reviews. Another think to put on my ever growing to-do list. This coming month is going to be especially busy with a visit from my mom and dad, a small vacation, and homeschooling planning, and planning an Economics class for a homeschool co-op and yes, my knowledge of economics basically consists of 'what comes up must come down'--scary, I know! My picks for August may be a little generous for the time I have, but for now these are my goals.
From June's Nightstand:
- Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers - Just continuing the Lord Peter Wimsey series I started last month.
- I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince by Roseanne E. Lortz - This novel was very slow going and it definitely helped to know some British history. Thanks to Ambleside Online I was in the 'know'.
- My Heart Remembers (My Heart Remembers Book #1) Kim Vogel Sawyer - A freebie off of my Kindle about kids going on the orphan train. It was an okay read.
- Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood by Carolyn Mahaney & Nicole Mahaney Whitacre - A book for moms and daughters to read together and discuss. I don't know yet if I'll do that yet, but I did gain some insight from it.
- Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child by Tim Kimmel - I really enjoyed this book. Down to earth and at times convicting. A great reminder that what the world defines as successful isn't always what makes people great. Yet if you raise your child to be great many times they are successful.
- Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government by Glenn Beck - Yeah, I know this is NOT my typical reading. Honestly, I can't stand to listen to any kind of talk radio so thus I avoid Glenn Beck, but I really enjoyed this book. Very insightful on what is happening in our government today. I think what also makes this book appealing is how colorful the pages are and the illustration included which make it easier to read than just a normal book.
- Parenting From the Heart by Marilyn Boyer - A mother sharing a heart about parenting. Filled with lots of illustrations from her years of parenting along with homeschooling the author offers a lot of encouragement to a homeschool mom.
- Delight Directed Learning: Guide Your Homeschooler Toward Passionate Learning (Coffee Break Books) by Lee Binz
- Homeschool High School Writing: You Can Do It! by Sabrina Justison & Vicki Tillman
- Simplify Your Homeschool Day: Shorten Your Day, Sweeten Your Time by Tamera L. Chilver
I listened to:
Appointment with Death: A Hercule Poirot Mystery by Agatha Christie - Sloooowly, making my way through Poirot's stories.
See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.