Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - Wrapping it All Up!

We didn't have very good weather this week, but on Wednesday
 Chantry found a nice moment and went out and enjoyed it.

In my life this week…
It was a normal week. Our weather has been kind of crazy. It will be nice one day and then cold and rainy for a couple of days. Due to the rain baseball practice was cancelled on Monday.

On Tuesday, the sun actually came out for awhile and I was able to see Venus travelling in front of the sun. There was a lady outside the library that had protective eyewear, actually x-rays, that was kindly letting people look through them. I felt bad that my kids weren't there, but they had already headed home with their dad. Later I went to my homeschool mom's meeting. I love these meetings! It is so nice to be able to go and fellowship and share ups and downs, and realize that your not the only one who is frustrated or struggling with your kids, housework, or homeschooling.

Wednesday saw Destini and I headed to McDonald's for a little snack and drink while we read through Beautiful Girlhood and Beautiful Girlhood - Companion Guide. Then we headed to her piano lesson.

On Thursday I headed out to a local used curriculum sale. Of course, I came loaded home with a pile. The good thing is that some of the things I will need in the future, the bad thing is most of it isn't for this next school year. And then there are the items that are priced too good to pass up!

Friday was a lazy day. I did take Delani out shopping to find her a new pair of sandals, since her old ones broke last week. Due to more rain the boys' baseball game was cancelled which was a good thing since my allergies were out of control. I hate sitting at a baseball game with a box of Kleenex in my hands. Instead I took a nap and my sweet husband made dinner.

In our homeschool this week…
Caleb is plugging along. His work load has lightened considerably. He spent a lot of time listening to John Adams by David McCullough.

This was a week to complete our readings for this school year. I finished reading to Chantry and Destini The Burgess Seashore Book for Children by Thornton Burgess. We would have finished this a couple of weeks ago, but it was lost in my house for over a month! We also finished Exploring Creation With Zoology 2. I have to admit I was thrilled to finish science up for the year. We did a full 36 weeks of science this year and it was a lot. At last but not least was The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling. This was another tough read and I had a love/hate relationship with it. You can read my thought about it here.

Saturday we went to the our homeschool group end of the year party. Chantry recited his poem, "Against Scoffing and Calling Names" by Isaac Watts, and Destini and Caleb did their puppet show. They were awarded certificate of completion for the year and then we had food and fellowship.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Piano lessons and the End of the Year Party.

My favorite thing this week was…
Finishing Exploring Creation With Zoology 2.

What’s working/not working for us…
Right now I'm not even concerned about it. I'm going to enjoy a break.

Questions/thoughts I have…
I am really wanting to simplify Caleb's work, but I don't know if that is possible in high school. I love the thought of living books, but I don't see it really working for all subjects. There are some subjects, such as health, that I'm just going to give him a curriculum and have him work through it.

Things I’m working on…
Well, I've been kind of lazy so I need to make myself a list. There is some housework that I need to do, and I want to sew the girls' some skirts for summer, and then there is always next years school plans.

I’m reading…


Check my reviews of The Memoirs and Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, A Heart of Glass and my Reading Journal entries here & here. These are all books I have recently finished.

I’m cooking…
Tacos, potato soup since it was cold and rainy out.

I’m grateful for…
God supplying all of my needs.

I’m praying for…
My niece who is due to arrive in about two weeks. They have found a mass lateral to her stomach. The doctors aren't sure what it is, but it is growing. I am praying for healing and also for her parents that God will give them peace during this time.

Chantry & myself - Next week Chantry will take an achievement test for 3rd grade which our state requires. These tests always make me a nervous wreck--I know I shouldn't be, but it is hard not to be.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Delani's new sandals.


My purchases from the used curriculum sale. You can't see everything, but I snagged the Teacher's book and DVD for Math U See Algebra II, some Life Pacs to round out Caleb's credit in health, and the teacher's books for Rod & Staff spelling.



I am linking up at iHomeschool Network & Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails