Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Reading Journal #15: A Praying Life & Passionate Housewives Desperate for God



A Praying Life: Connecting With God In A Distracting World by Paul Miller

My thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book. Paul Miller does a great job of making prayer--dare I say, doable. He shows how prayer is not an isolated part of life, but it is interconnected with all of our life. It it a journey. He covers many topics like learning to pray like a child, to trust again, to ask God, living in the story that God is weaving in our lives. In the last part he shows what praying in real life looks like. Throughout the book he shows with raw honesty how prays plays out in his life. I book inspired and encouraged me and one I will be revisiting. Highly recommended!

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos



Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey & Stacy McDonald

My thoughts:
The authors look at the cultural messages that are sent to women about the unimportance of being just a homemaker. They remind the reader through Scripture that you can be a passionate and fulfilled homemaker by being "desperate" for God. I found this to be a wonderful reminder of what I'm doing. No, I don't struggle with being "just" a housewife, but I do get frustrated with doing housework and get sidetracked by running errands, obsessing about homeschooling, and browsing the Internet. This was a timely read and it will stay on my bookshelf for future reference.

On a side note: The authors really stress that women don't need "me" time. While on one hand I agree when put in the context that your "me" time is selfish and a byproduct of what our culture proclaims. On the other hand, I have greatly benefited from getting out of the house for a short time that has helped me refocus and feel rejuvenated. My husband has been great in this area. There are times he tells me to leave and go somewhere because he knows it helps me.
I am linking up over at:
SatReviewbutton

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the concept of "me" time. It really does help to get out of the house or have some time alone every now and then. But when I start thinking I have a right to it or resenting my family or duties because I am not getting it, that's a problem. The Lord has been good to provide pockets of it here and there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails