Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Reading Journal #14 - Uncovering the Logic of English, Parenting, & More



Uncovering the Logic of English by Denise Eide

My thoughts:
I check this book out after hearing a talk by Denise Eide. I find phonics to be a thorn in my flesh. My just don't seem to get them and even though we go through the rules they don't seem to stick.

In Uncovering the Logic of English Denise Eide starts by showing how English is logical and then goes through a list of rules to apply to the different confusing spellings. She also goes into prefixes and suffixes and how they change the can change spellings. In the appendix she has helpful lists of phonograms, spelling rules and other helpful charts.

I first want to say that I enjoyed this book and was especially glad that it was easy to read. At first I thought it might be pretty technical. Much of what she says makes a lot of sense and was helpful. On the other hand there were many times that I had to read the rules several times before I "got" it. I know if I had tried to get my 9 yr. old son to learn some of these rules he would look at me like I grew a new head. This would be a great book for reference to give you a why for those tricky spelling.

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos



Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick by Florence Littauer

My thoughts:
I love to read about the different personalities and I enjoy Florence Littauer's books. I really enjoyed reading how the different personalities are applied to children. She gives many examples of how the look when they are babies, children and older teens. She also shows how these personalities work with the personalities of parents and how to work through problems that may arise. This was a great read and I had fun finding my children's different personalities. This will be a book I revisit again as my children grow older. Highly recommended!

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos



Life Artist by Ali Edwards

My thoughts:
Ali Edwards shares in this book on how making memories and sharing them are an important part of her life. She also shows how to make your personality and style shine through when creating your own. Her main goal: Be yourself!

I enjoyed reading this. I really like the thought of scrap-booking, but when I go to do it I feel very uninspired and as much as I would love to do it I have come to the conclusion that I would rather be reading, sewing, homeschooling my kids, or spending time with my family. It may be that being a life artist in my house will look a little different and I think that is okay.

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos

I am linking up over at:
SatReviewbutton

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to read that personality book! I am a scrapbooker, and I'm an Ali Edwards fan from way back. I don't read a bunch about scrapbiiking, though, because I find it just either makes me feel guilty for what I'm not getting done or resentful of what I really have to do instead if scrapbooking. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails