Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What's On Your Nightstand - May

What's On Your Nightstand

June is upon me and that means less time to read. A pity, I know. My in-laws are coming for a visit from North Dakota and my parents are also visiting from Wisconsin, so my time will probably be spent enjoying being together--plus it requires some major house cleaning!

I had a hard time picking out books for this month. Consider This by Karen Glass is being brought over from April's Nightstand. I am over half-way through this book so hopefully I can get it finished in June. Other than that I am just going to take each day as it comes.

For June:
 


From April's Nightstand I read:
  • The Dean's Watch by Elizabeth Goudge - I don't know if this was the best pick to start off reading Goudge, but that is just the way the cookie crumbled. This was slow going at first, but boy, it made up for it by the end. This is such a redeeming story told in a very quiet way. (I'm not sure if it makes sense, but it is the only way I know how to describe it.) I will definitely be reading more Goudge.
  • A Season for the Heart by Elizabeth Chater - Recommended to me by hopeinbrazil from Worthwhile Books since I enjoy Georgette Heyer so much. Heyer is a much more sophisticated writer. A quick and predictable read. I know that I would have loved reading this in my teens.
  • The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - I really wanted to like this book, except that a certain hot-topic agenda seemed to loosely pervade the story. Maybe I'll write up a review, but if you want to know more check out this one.
  • Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery - Several years ago we read The Reb and the Redcoats by the same author and thoroughly enjoyed it (review). Savery does an amazing job of telling unusual stories about historical events. A review will be going up next month.
I also read:
I listened to:
  • The Green Ember by S. D. Smith - I won a copy of the audio book from Carrie at Reading to Know. I will admit that fantasy is NOT my genre and everybody was raving about it and many times I find that books like that don't meet my expectations.  I was thrilled to get it for the kids since they do fantasy. I decided to give it a listen and lo and behold this book is worthy of all the raving it has received. I still haven't got my kids to listen to it (I think they are a little hesitant like I was) so it may become a read-aloud. The other option is that one of them will finally listen to it and for some reason they can persuade each other easier the I can persuade them to give it a go. 
See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.

5 comments:

  1. The War that Saved My Life sounds really interesting - except for the hot topic you mentioned. It sounds like it's mostly in subtext, though, so maybe it's not too blatant?

    I'm going to have to check out The Green Ember - I've only heard good about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not blatant. I kept reading with this idea in the back of my mind, "Surely not? I must be reading too much into it." By the end of the book though I was pretty convinced that it what is was. Even though it wasn't blatant, I would still not give it to my kids to read which is too bad because it had the potential to be a great story.

      Delete
  2. Ohh.. D. E. Stevenson....I might have to request Listening Valley!

    Love Green Ember. Please tell your children that I said to give it a listen. Surely they will listen to a complete stranger, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Green Ember is on my reading list too - I keep hearing such good things about it (and I do love a good fantasy novel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great variety of books. Happy June reading! I hope you have a great visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails