Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - Jury Duty & More

October 25 Collage 

This was another very different week for us. Right when I think I may be able to find our routine, lo and behold I get called for jury duty and of course it was on co-op day. Thankfully, I have some great friends and we all survived and the kids even made it to co-op! I notice that my pictures I take throughout the week are pretty pitiful. So here is a look at our week.

1. & 3. Delani started adding in Math-U-See Primer. She keeps saying 7 equals 1 plus 8 and I keep correcting her. She reassures me and says, "But Mom, he says equal!"

For reading we picked up the First Start Reading and did 2 lessons. She also read 1-3 in the Bob Books. She is ready to start the fourth book, but the box has been misplaced soooo that requires me to go look for it.

This week we were successful and had 4 days of read-alouds from My Book House 1 & 2. I also added in The Golden Children's Bible which she is loving.

2. Craft Warehouse (one of my favorite stores) had a sale one evening this week, so Destini and I headed down there to see if we could find fabric for her quilt she will be starting for Student Convention in 2015. These four fabrics are just a start. The carry two more from that line, but I may have to go to the big fabric store in Portland or shop online to find other fabrics in that line.

4. I took Caleb to school one day only to notice that our van was on empty. So I prayed the van would make it to Costco and survive the long line. It did and I was thrilled to find gas for under $3 a gallon.

5. Delani has been on a coloring kick. I caught her even coloring on our way to the library.

6. Jury duty calls. I had to be to the court house by 8 a.m. and since you have to call after 5 p.m. the day before I only had a short time to arrange everything for Thursday. When I left I didn't know if anyone would be able to get my kids to co-op, but I had already arranged to ride his bike there since I was supposed to teach. Thankfully, someone was able to pick the kids up while I sat at the court house for a few hours waiting to find out if they needed a jury. Finally, the judge came up and said that that the person had pleaded guilty and we weren't needed and were free to go.

The one thing I am really excited about is that I do not have to serve for 2 years. I have lived in Marion County for 7 years and I have been summoned every year and if I deferred I was called twice. For some reason their system loved my name. The feeling was not mutual.

7. I tried a new soup recipe last night, White Chicken Chili. I don't have a recipe, since everyone I looked at would have fed maybe two people in this house. Most of the recipes called for 2 cans of beans--2! So I went and bought 6 cans of beans which I rinsed, added some chicken broth and chicken. and seasonings and let it cook for a couple of hours. I served it with some cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Next time I will put it in the crock-pot so I won't have to hover over it. My husband loved it, the kids thought it was okay, but the pot was empty so I am counting it as a success.

8. In this picture Caleb is trying to get ground beef out of a tube package and he was shaking it. We have been reading in Leviticus in our Bible reading about the different offerings (burnt, sin, etc.). Well, Caleb was shaking the package and he said, "A wave offering!"

 Homegrown LearnersWeekly Wrap-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails