Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Read-Aloud Thursday - A Mish Mash of Books

Read-Aloud Thursday Pictures, Images and Photos

I am excited to say that we did get some read-aloud in this month for all the kids. I have been reading a lot of picture books to Delani, many of them recommended by Amy from Hope Is the Word and Pam from Ed Snapshots' 31 Days of Picture Books. We are also currently reading the My Book House series and we finished Volume 2. I'm not sure how we finished it before Volume 1, but it happened that way. Here is a look at what we have read:

   

Our favorite picture book that we read this month was Snoring Beauty by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen. I found this book while passing through the children's library and since I have a fondness for fractured fairy tales I quickly snatched it up. Snoring Beauty is a twist on the story of Sleeping Beauty told from the perspective of a mouse who can't sleep due to the princess' loud snoring.

This story not only tickled Delani's funny bone, but I found the rest of my kids (12, 14, & 18) hanging around and heard quite a few snickers through out the story. A picture book that keeps the interest of pre-teens and teens is a book worth reading!


I finally finished reading Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne to Chantry and Destini. We started this book last March, but with our move and the advent of summer it didn't get finished. When school started again I decided to pick up where we left off.

I have always enjoyed this story, but both the kids and I really struggled with this as a read aloud. The first problem came from them having watched the film with David Niven (after my oldest read  the book he had to watch the film which he loved) and surprisingly (according to my kids) the film closely follows the book. When it didn't they informed me of it (which wasn't very often). Secondly, Verne really does use some tough to pronounce words in his writing, not to mention that I can't say French words and trying to get Passepartout out every line or so was trying.

When it was all said and done I think having them listen to an audio version would have been a better choice.  Oh well, live and learn! We will now be delving back into Swallows and Amazons.

See what others are reading aloud over at Hope is the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails