Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Read-Aloud Thursday: Oliver Twist & Abraham Lincoln's World

Read-Aloud Thursday Pictures, Images and Photos
Life has been very hectic around here and there hasn't been much reading aloud except that which we read-aloud for school. I have resorted to using quite a few audio books to keep my kids busy. Here's a look of what has been happening lately.

 

Both Oliver Twist and Abraham Lincoln's World are selections from Ambleside Online Year 5. I have been reading these books over the course of many months and I recently finished reading them to Destini and Chantry.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens was a literature selection and a very enjoyable read. I have to admit that it wasn't the easiest read-aloud I've ever done. Dickens sure comes up with some extraordinary words! The story also deals with some pretty serious topics which gave us quite a bit to talk about.  I found that Destini was able to follow the plot a little better than Chantry. At times I did have to stop and make sure he was following along. Overall, I felt this was a successful read-aloud and wonderful introduction to Dickens.

Abraham Lincoln's World by Genevieve Foster was their world history book for part of this school year. Last year I read George Washington's World by the same author and it was a big hit. Abraham Lincoln's World did not disappoint either. This is the way to learn history!

I also thought I would share what the kids have been reading and listening to.

Chantry:
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table - Roger Lancelyn Green
War Inventions by Charles Gibson
 Lad: A Dog by Albert Terhune
Geronimo: Wolf of the Warpath by Ralph Moody
The Story of the Treasure Seekers - E. Nesbit (audio)

Destini (who has listened to a pile of audio books while sewing or doing cross-stitch):
The Story of the Treasure Seekers - E. Nesbit (audio)
The Wouldbegoods - E. Nesbit (audio) Destini has raved so much about these stories that they have been added to my TBR list.
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (audio)
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - Kate Douglas Wiggen (audio)

Caleb:
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Mr. Standfast by John Buchan
(I'm sure Caleb has a few Louis L'amour that he could add to this list.)

I decided to introduce Caleb to Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse. Destini immediately picked up the audios when he was finished and listened to them and I usually found Chantry hanging around to listening. I can always tell when they are listening to a Wodehouse book from the giggles coming forth out their rooms and oh, the discussions that have taken place over a Christie book!

Here is a sampling of what has been listened to:
And Then There Were None - Christie
Murder on the Orient Express - Christie
The Mystery of the Blue Train - Christie
My Man Jeeves - Wodehouse
The Girl on the Boat - Wodehouse

See what others are reading aloud over at Hope is the Word.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Beth, I just love this post! I've been thinking about reading a "real" classic to my girls but wasn't sure where to start. Remind me again how old Chantry is? I'm so glad you included what they're reading, too, as I'm ALWAYS looking for new books for my girls. I'm definitely adding The Wouldbegoods to our list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lad: A Dog was much loved here. We have read Nesbit aloud but I may need to grab the audio books for a rainy, crafty kind of day. Excellent selections!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails