Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Reading Journal: Together-Growing Appetites for God by Carrie Ward


Book Description:
Christian parents have a responsibility to make sure their children know and love God's Word. But what if you struggle as a parent to read the Bible yourself. How can you pass a love for God's Word along to your children if you struggle with it yourself? That was Carrie Ward's story. Until God gave her a plan to help her develop a consistent time in the Word, right along with her children. Readers will walk together with Carrie Ward, an everyday mama, as she journeys through the Bible with her small children one chapter a day. As her children re-enact the Bible stories readers will be able to see Scripture through the eyes of a child. Parents will learn how to impart God's truth to their children day by day, and will see its transformative power on their families. Together: Growing Appetites for God is an easy read and includes helpful tools for scripture memorization and charts to follow progress through the Bible.
My thoughts:
Together: Growing Appetites for God by Carrie Ward was a book that I had seen highly reviewed and when I did some Christmas gift ordering I slipped this book into my order for myself. In this book the author shares her story of how she came to read the Bible to her children and the lessons that the learned. She also shares how they  covered the hard parts and memorized scriptures. One of my favorite chapters was where she talked about how their reading for the day happened at just the right time in their life. She also has a great list of resources that they used on their journey through the Bible.

I found Together: Growing Appetites for God a delightful and encouraging read and it really resonated with me.  I think as a parent we can over think the process of finding just the right Bible storybook to read to our younger kids, especially when it comes to the Bible, when in all actuality we already have the perfect book sitting on our shelves or bedside tables--our Bibles. What a better way to teach your kids how to really study the Word of God than to read it to them and if you have questions then together you go searching for the answers. I really think we underestimate what our children can comprehend and learn from just the Bible itself.

I will admit that everything isn't perfect in our house. I do my own personal Bible reading and my two oldest also do personal Bible reading. My biggest challenge has been reading a chapter a day together.  No, we probably we don't have to do it, but I feel it is something we need to do. We have probably have had more days we have missed reading, but I won't give up on it and we just pick up where we left off and keep going.

If you struggled in this area or maybe you're doing just fine but feeling weary, I highly recommend Together: Growing Appetites for God. I think you will come away blessed and encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails