Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Top Reads for 2011

Here is my top reads that I read for 2011. I have divided them by fiction and non-fiction, other than that they are listed in no particular order.

Non-fiction

1. Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (review)

I enjoy reading stories about books and this one was a fun read. It also made me think about how I really need to read what I have in my own house, even though that wasn't the authors intent.

2. Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in your Girl by Dannah Gresh (review)

I read several books this year about mother/daughter relationships during the tween and teen years and I have to say that this book was my favorite. I loved the focus on building a relationship with your daughter.

3. Today Matters by John Maxwell (review)

I was really encouraged to make 'today matter'! There was so much in this book to digest that I need to go back and re-read it again.

4. She's Gonna Blow by Julie Ann Barnhill

Okay, this book really, really made me think and cry and pray and repent! It was also like a cool breeze that refreshes. This is written by someone who has been there and done that and offers encouragement to moms, especially when you royally blow it.

5. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

At first I found the writing style quite different, but was soon drawn into Ann's journey of learning to be thankful. A great reminder of the importance of thankfulness and the difference it can make in a person's life.

Fiction

1. The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall (review)

I love the Penderwicks!

2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I listened to this on audio and it was really hard to turn it off when I needed to. This was such a captivating story. This story stayed with me a long time after finishing it and gave me much food for thought. Though I have to admit that as much as I loved this story, I hated the ending!

3. The Final Storm by Jeff Shaara

This was the final book in the Novel of World War II Series and I wasn't disappointed. Shaara does an excellent job of writing a historical novel.

4. Little Men by Lousia May Alcott (review)

This was another book I listened to and also a re-read from long ago. I loved all the creative ways Jo dealt with her 'little men and women' and was inspired by her mothering techniques.

5. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

I absolutely loved this book. You know how you have always read about Richard III and how wicked he was--he even had his nephews killed, right? Well, what if that wasn't the case? Jospehine Tey present a total different case about the wicked Richard III. A truly fascinating read!

2 comments:

  1. I need to read that Danna Gresh book. Looks like a year of good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books 3 & 5 on your fiction list are on my TBR list for 2012. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails