Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Book Review: Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill

Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home

Book Description:
In pursuit of a book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books in order to get to know her own collection again.

My thoughts:
I ordered Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home by Susan Hill while browsing my library's online catalog. When I received it I thought I would just read through it a chapter a night, but I ended up reading more than one chapter as I journeyed with Susan through her year of reading.

Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home isn't just about the books that Susan Hill read, but as she browses through her books she takes you on a journey sharing stories and thoughts. She writes about many genre's of books: humor, travel writings, poetry, children's books, and more. She talks about such things as--things you find in books, writing in books, books you've tried to read but couldn't--all things that I think most book lovers can relate to. While reminiscing she begins to make a list of forty books that she could manage with alone for the rest of her life.

Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home was such an enjoyable read. I felt like I had taken a vacation. I have to admit there were some authors I had never heard of or have never been tempted to read, but I could totally relate to how she felt. I have my own books and authors that I like to reminisce about. If you love books and reading, I highly recommend this book! Be warned: you will probably be adding to you TBR list.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a fun journey! What did you add to your list after reading the book?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails