Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Review: Tangled Web by L. M. Montgomery

Tangled Web


Book Description:
Over the years sixty members of the Dark family and sixty Penhallows have married one another--but not without their share of fighting and feuding. Now Aunt Becky, the eccentric old matriarch of the clan, has bequeathed her prized possession: a legendary heirloom jug. But the name of the jug's new owner will not be revealed for one year. In the next twelve months beautiful Gay Penhallow's handsome fiance Noel Gibson leaves her for sly and seductive Nan Penhallow; reckless Peter Penhallow and lovely Donna Dark, who have hated each other since childhood, are inexplicably brought together by the jug; Hugh and Joscelyn Dark, separated on their wedding night ten years ago for reasons never revealed, find a second chance--all watched over by the mysterious Moon Man, who has the gift of second sight. Then comes the night when Aunt Becky's wishes will be revealed...and the family is in for the biggest surprise of all.
My thoughts:
I picked A Tangled Web for The L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge hosted by Carrie at Reading to Know . In true Montgomery fashion, she weaves many stories into one, and through all the ups and downs all the stories come to a very satisfying conclusion. This is a darker story than many of her other stories and from my research this book was written for an adult audience. I also found she used stronger language in this book than I remember in any of her other books. Overall, I found A Tangled Web a delightful read.

2 comments:

  1. It has been years since I read this one, but I liked it. I might have to pull it out again. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this one is really fun, in part because, as you say, it was written for adults. It is darker and more complex. Very unique and I'm so glad you choose to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails