Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A-Z Wednesday


A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicky of Reading at the Beach. To join, look here.

This weeks letter is: E

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

Book Synopsis:
Thirteen-year-old Rose Campbell, a delicate, sensitive orphan, has been cared for by her well-meaning but rather fussy aunts during the year since her father's death. When her lively, forward-thinking Uncle Alex (who is her legal guardian), returns from his world travels, Rose's pallor and listless, "ladylike" ways shock him. He proposes that he take charge of her education, health and life style for a year to try and make her life more wholesome and happy. The novel shows us the adventures, mishaps, and fun that result from Rose and her aunts' adjustments to Uncle Alex's newfangled ideas about how to raise a girl. Many amusing and touching incidents revolving around Rose's relationships with her seven boisterous but affectionate male cousins, also give the author a chance to express what were then radical beliefs about the roles and rights of women.

My comments:
This was a book my Grandma K. insisted I read since I was the only girl and only had my brother and four boy cousins. I really enjoyed it, and this book holds a special place in my heart since my Grandma had suggested it. But the story doesn't end there. Years later I came across Rose in Bloom, the sequel to Eight Cousins. Rose in Bloom ended up being one of my all time favorite books. If you haven't read these I highly recommend them!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recommendation.....I look forward to reading it!
    ==lennie==

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice for "E"!

    Thanks for playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Louisa May Alcott, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one years ago. I need to reread Louisa's other books not just Little Women!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails