Pages

Monday, January 29, 2007

Book Review: Better than Life by Daniel Pennac


I found this book while browsing the parenting section of books at my local libary. I actually figured I wouldn't even get it all read in my alloted check out time. I picked this up late last evening before going to bed to read a few chapters. Needless to say I finished the book. The theme of this book centers around reading and what book lovers treasure. It covers topics such as how reading aloud can ensure a love of books begins, the importance of childen developing a relationship with books and "The Reader's Bill of Rights" which are as follows:

The Reader's Bill of Rights
Everyone has the right to read. Here's The Reader's Bill of Rights to help you make the most of that right: Readers have:

1. The right to not read.
2. The right to skip pages.
3. The right to not finish.
4. The right to reread.
5. The right to read anything.
6. The right to escapism.
7. The right to read anywhere.
8. The right to browse.
9. The right to read out loud.
10. The right not to defend your tastes.
—Pennac, Daniel, Better Than Life, Coach House Press, 1996.


Right now I'm dealing with a beginning reader and an 11 year old who reads because Mom tells him to. After reading this book I was encouraged to read out loud more to my kids. I have been doing this, but had slacked off. Will this make my kids love reading? I don't know, but I want to do everything within my power to encourage a love of reading in them.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book! I'm going to put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails