Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Hidden Art of Homemaking - Painting, Sketching, Sculpturing

 
Chapter 4 - Painting, Sketching, Sculpting
Everyone who has any talent at all in sketching, painting, sculpturing or carving, should have the opportunity to use that talent. The expression is important for the person, and can tremendously enrich the lives of other people. What can you do? p.48
Since I don't have a talent in sketching, painting, sculpturing or carving I'm not to sure how to answer this question. I don't draw, doodle, paint, sculpt in any way, shape, form or fashion. When I was growing up I did do some drawing and my only accomplishment in painting was back in the day when stenciling was popular. I would love to say that I have kept up my drawing by doing a nature journal, but nature study and journaling is something that as hard as I try to incorporate just never ever happens here.

Reading this chapter at first left me feeling just a wee bit depressed, but then I told myself to think outside of the box. Outside of fabric, I think most of my artistic ability comes out in the from of paper, glue, curling ribbon, stickers and such. When thinking of paper and glue usually everyone thinks of scrapbooking, which as much as I love the thought of it, I never do it. What I do love to do is create cards and decorate items with paper.


1. Decorated notebooks. 2. Valentine's Day cards--an annual tradition in our house.
3. A decorated wood letter. 4. Candy bar cake. 5. Diaper cake.
Another thing I have tried to do is even though I don't do much drawing or sketching is to have materials around the house that my kids can use. We have chalk pastels, Prismacolor colored pencils, drawing pencils, water colors, colored Crayola and Sharpie markers (my personal favorite), and lots of paper. I also have used different art books with them and for this school year Caleb took a drawing class and colored pencil class offered to homeschoolers in our area.

Destini's artwork
 
Caleb's picture from his colored pencil class.
 
This chapter really gave me a lot to think about and inspired me to see if I can find a way to add some sketching into my life. Maybe I'll get around to starting a nature journal even if I have to start in my own backyard. I also loved her idea of sketching the sermon out for small children and for using it during personal prayer time.

I leave you with Mrs. Schaeffer's answer to her question, "What can you do?", which I think takes away the "fear" of drawing, sketching, and sculpting and helps the reader find the right way and the right medium that works for them

...be satisfied with the fact that although your art or talent may never be accepted by the world as anything 'great', and may never be your career, it can be used to enrich your day by day life: enrich it for you, and for the people with whom you live. And secondly, come to a recognition of the fact that it is important for you to be creative in this area to the extent of your talent: important for you as a person who is a creative creature. p. 48

I am linking up with Cindy at Ordo Amoris.

More from this series:

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Beth. Your creations count-- absolutely! I'm with you on the nature journaling, too--love the idea but find it so hard to be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the recurring themes running through many of the posts has been that at first the person (me included) felt like the chapter didn't apply but then their eyes opened and it did. I have been amazed at the hidden hidden art that has surfaced during these posts. Your ribbon work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! After mine was written I wish I had included various kinds of crafts as artistic expression. I don't see that Edith includes it at all later in the book - maybe I'll bring it up another time.

    Sometimes I even like to get out a box of crayons and color in a coloring book. :-) It's very relaxing.

    Your children's art work is great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails