Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - Back to School Time


1. Shakespeare reading. 2. Caught Chantry reading on his own.
3. Delani doing "school." 4. Delani "reading" to herself.
5. Chantry practicing his new cursive letter.
6. This outfit made me laugh! Only a 4 year old could pull this off.
6. New grammar program for Caleb (and Destini but don't tell her).
 

In my life this week…
Well, it was time to get back into the school groove though I still had some major interruptions. My main focus for myself was to not let dinners slide and get to bed earlier. I did good on the first and not so good on the second.

I realized that I hadn't gotten the boy's haircuts which required us to take a day of school (Tuesday) to do that. It also let me stop by my favorite store, Exodus Books, where I bought some books for the kids for Valentine's Day. I also had my local homeschool mom's meeting in the evening which I always look forward to and come home inspired.

On Friday a friend ended up having surgery and I headed up to OHSU in Portland, which is my nemesis when it come to driving there. I couldn't go as early as I had planned due to icy roads and trust me you don't want to be driving on Oregonian icy roads--not a safe thing to do!! Of course with me gone we didn't get to our art and music study, but we can pick that up next week.

In our homeschool this week…
We started our week off with our Shakespeare reading of Julius Caesar  (1) .

Chantry worked on Lesson 15 in the Logic of English book. This ended up being a review lesson and the first day was kind of tough since we hadn't reviewed any sounds for three weeks. By Wednesday though he was writing out his sentences and hardly needing any help. I was thrilled. He also in working along in Math U See Delta, cursive (5) handwriting, and Language Lessons book. I'm trying to get a lot of readers in the house to get him to encourage him to read more (2).

Destini is working along in her Language Lesson book , math, and spelling. We had recently added dictation using Spelling Wisdom and I think that is her favorite subject right now. She also is working in Creative Writer Level 1 which she doesn't like at all.

Together Des and Chant are reading American History and both have started new biographies. Chantry is reading John Adams and Destini is reading Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution. They also both started Kidnapped (Junior Deluxe Edition) as their new literature selection.

Caleb is plugging along in Geometry, History, Health, Spanish, and dictation with Spelling Wisdom. He is reading To Kill a Mockingbird for literature. We also started Analytical Grammar (7). This is my last grammar program I'm trying for him. If it don't work then life will just have to go on without it.

For Delani we started using Flowering Baby (3) program. I will be reviewing this in February for The Old School House Review Crew. So far she is enjoying her "school time" and is very insistent that it be done!

I am inspired by…
I already mentioned this, but I'm always inspired by my local homeschool moms meetings. This week we discussed the Spiritual Growth of Children which gave me a lot of food for thought.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Portland-to get the boys' haircut and Destini started back up her piano lessons.

My favorite thing this week was…
How well Chantry did in recalling how to spell his words for his Logic of English review.

What’s working/not working for us…
Everything seems to be working!

Questions/thoughts I have…
I really want to do a Morning Circle Time, but just can't seem to find the time. Any suggestions?

Things I’m working on…
Getting the house back in order and hopefully back to a little bit of sewing.

I’m reading…


I’m cooking…
Homemade pizza, chuck roast with baked potatoes, popcorn chicken and tator tots which Caleb cooked all by himself!

I’m grateful for…
Having a local homeschool support group. My first four years of homeschooling I didn't have access to one and boy were those some tough days. Not that I don't have tough days now, I just know that I'm not the only person having them and have people that can encourage me when it gets rough.

I’m praying for…
My friend who just underwent surgery.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Source: lilluna.com via Beth on Pinterest

I am linking up at:

Homegrown Learners

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Mary's blog....
    I love that you share a quote from Pinterest. I have a board titled Words. This is a great way to get them from Pinterest onto the blog! Thanks!

    Jess @ Teachable Moments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week, Beth. As for morning time (Circle time, whatever), I'm a sort-of failure at it (or at least what I plan for it to be in my mind), but I think you have to be of the mindset that it's The Most Important Thing, or else you'll let it slide. As me how I know. :-)

    I hear you on the mealtime/bedtime resolution. I'm doing okay on the first, and like you, very poorly on the second.

    There are never enough hours in the day, are there?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails