Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Reading Journal # 11 - The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, Your Child's Growing Mind & More



The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

My thoughts:
I have enjoyed all of Julie Klassen's books and The Maid of Fairbourne Hall was no exception. Margaret Macy escapes her step-father and his evil intents for her life. She ends up serving as a maid in the house of a former admirer she had rejected in the past. This story is filled with suspense as Margaret tries to hide her identity and learn a whole new way of life.I enjoyed this story very much, though Klassen's Lady of Milkweed Manor remains my favorite.

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos

Secret of the Swamp - 9780921100508

Scout: The Secret of the Swamp by Piet Prins

My thoughts:
I read this aloud to my children and it was a big hit. I will be reviewing this next Thursday for Read Aloud Thursday hosted by Amy at Hope is the Word.

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos



Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence by Jane Healy

My thought:
Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence has been sitting on my shelf for a long time. This also on my 2012 Reading Goals list. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easy to read and understand. I had put it off since I though it would be a real academic read. She shows the importance of having one on one contact with your younger child and simple activities that you can do, one of the most important being reading to your child. Many of her points really lined up with Charlotte Mason's educational thoughts, which we use in our homeschool. This is an encouraging read  and I highly recommend it.

SCROLL Pictures, Images and Photos

I am linking up over at:
SatReviewbutton

2 comments:

  1. Your Child's Growing Mind sounds good and accessible. I have a horrible track record with actually finishing nonfiction, but this one sounds like one I could do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've almost gotten Klassen's book a number of times but haven't yet because part of the plot sounds similar to another book I read. I've only heard good about this one, though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails