Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Teaser Tuesday

Photobucket

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

•Grab your current read

•Open to a random page

•Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

•BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

•Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick McManus

Background: The author and his friend, Retch, were on a rafting/hunting trip.

I will not attempt to tell you what shooting the Narrows in the middle of the night was like--about the paddles snapping in our hands like match sticks, about the river wrapping the raft around us like dough around three frightened wieners, the drop-offs, the drop-ups, the part where we walked horizontally around the walls carrying the raft, the part where the raft on top of us and the river was on top of the raft, and certainly not the parts where it got bad. It will suffice to say that when we finally emerged from the Narrows, I was paddling with a bolt action .30-06, Retch was paddling with the dog, and there was no sign to be found of the raft. p. 73
This is not my typical book that I read, but a friend put it in my hands and said I had to read it. I will admit that this book does not encourage me in the least to go camping, rafting, fishing, etc. Forget the great outdoors--give me good shopping and the nearest hotel any day!!

11 comments:

  1. Hmm... somehow, it reminds me of Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (not to mention the Dog), which is a humorous account of traveling down the river.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read this, but I loved Three Men in a Boat! Thanks for posting on Read@UTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...glad he wasn't going to talk about it, lol. Also glad none of my camping trips have ever been this horrible. My post: Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your commentary in the end. :) While I do enjoy the outdoors, I prefer a rustic cottage somewhere over a hotel. :) Nice teaser. Thank you for dropping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you...shopping and restaurants. But this one sounds kind of interesting (to read, not to do!). Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/teaser-tuesday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cover is cheesily hilarious. Wonder if that's intentional? lol. Thanks for sharing. My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on that. It does not sound like fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope, not my type of fun, either. Thanks for visiting my TT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure what to think of this one...but I do love rafting and camping. =)

    My teaser is here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting teaser! Am a little late but thanks for dropping by my blog earlier this week! =)

    - Li (rulethewaves.net)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails