Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book Review: Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll



Book Description:
Step into an upside-down world with Alice. One moment Alice is wondering what life is like on the other side of the mirror, the next she finds herself through the looking-glass and in a topsy turvy land where everything is 'contrariwise'. Alice meets a host of bizarre characters: Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the dotty White Knight and the bad-tempered Red Queen - none of whom are quite what they seem. But is Alice's adventure real, or is it all a dream?
My thoughts:
After finishing reading Alice's Adventure in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, we continued right into Through the Looking-Glass. This story takes you on a journey through a chess board with the chess pieces. To be honest I didn't "get" the moves, but I don't think it was necessary to enjoy the story. Again, Through the Looking-Glass is a little weird, but I found it more enjoyable than Alice's Adventure in Wonderland. It was fun to watch Alice figure out how to do things backwards and the book is full of wordplay.

My also enjoyed the story, though I don't know if they got all the wordplay since I was reading it aloud and they couldn't see the words. Their favorite character was the White Knight, who couldn't sit upon his horse and had them hysterically laughing. I am glad that I read these to the kids and maybe they didn't get everything, but will fondly remember the funny moments and the time we spent reading them!

Sidenote: I mentioned in this post how I was going to look through the The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition. I skimmed through it, but didn't come away anymore enlighted than I was before. It was too much information that I didn't really care about. If your hesitant to read Alice Adventure's in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, just take the plunge and enjoy what you get out of them.

Read-Aloud Thursday Pictures, Images and Photos

See what others are reading aloud over at Hope is the Word.

I am linking up over at:
SatReviewbutton

1 comment:

  1. We did read through Alice's Adventure in Wonderland one summer. For me, it was just OK, but the children enjoyed the antics and laughted aloud at certain parts. After reading your post, I am thinking that perhaps I should give Through the Looking-Glass a try.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails