Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Reading Journal - March & April

Reading Journal

It's been a busy two months. My reading has been slow, but I'm hoping May will bring better reading time and books.

March:
Audio:
  • Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat - I was able to read this book aloud to my two middle kids years ago and actually started to read it to my youngest, but life got pretty swamped so I resorted to the audiobook. We listened to this together. This has been a favorite book with my kids which makes me happy.


April:
  • The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschooling, Learning, and Life by Julie Bogart - While not a follower of Julie Bogart I am familiar with many of her ideas. I decided to give her new book a read and while many ideas given wouldn't happen in my homeschool I do believe she has an important message--you can homeschool your kids! Her chapter titled "The Dangers of Idealogical Alignment and True Belief-ism in Home Education" is a gem. She addresses something I don't hear addressed very often in the homeschool world and is a worthwhile read.
  • Help I'm Homeschooling: Helpful Habits for the Heart of Homeschooling by Tricia Hodges - I'm always on the look out for helpful homeschool books to recommend to new homeschoolers. Since I used to follow Tricia Hodges' blog years ago so I was familiar with many of her suggestions. I would recommend this for a new homeschooler or someone who only follows a boxed curriculum and are wanting to try something different.
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple. Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions by Emily P. Freeman - I started listening to The Next Right Thing podcast a few months ago and decided to order the book. While I did enjoy the book much of it was a repeat from the podcast. If I had been listening to her podcast from the beginning I'm sure I wouldn't have found the book so repetitive. Either way,  I do find her writing (and podcast) beautiful and thought worthy. 
  • Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather - I decided to dive into this book since you always hear Willa Cather's name talked about when it comes to classics. Well, I have read it. I can't say I was too impressed. 
  • Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody - On the other hand, you can't go wrong with Little Britches. What a wonderful story. I read this along with the Close-Reads podcast hosted by Circe Institute.
  • Sold On a Monday by Kristina McMorris - I liked the premise of this story, but I struggle when authors put things in their books that would have never happened in the time period they set their stories. I'm nit picky. This is just an okay read.
  • Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate - This was a slow going story, but I found it a lovely read. When I finished the book and entered it into my Goodreads only to find out I had read it over 10 years ago. I didn't even remember. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails