Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review: The Pen Commandments by Steven Frank

SatReviewbutton

The Pen Commandments

Book Description:

Steven Frank has a new approach to writing: fun first, rules to follow, success for all. In The Pen Commandments, his offbeat and entertaining guide, he's given us a book that all writers can turn to--for help and a good laugh.

With outrageous anecdotes (how a kid's oral surgery led to the ultimate writing assignment) and irreverent advice (Thou Shalt Not Kill Thy Sentences), Frank show how to conquer writer's block, find your voice, make friends with punctuation, and live forever in words. If you want to inspire your kids or just want to brush up your own skills, The Pen Commandments will change--and enliven--the way you write forever.

My thoughts:
I picked up The Pen Commandments by Steven Frank all because I found the title so intriguing.  I was not  disappointed. The Pen Commandments was a fun and enjoyable read. With such commandments as: Thou Shalt  Not Kill Thy Sentences, Thou Shalt Not Pick on the Puncts, Thou Shalt Take Pleasure In Thy Pen, Thou Shalt Not Take Thy Essay Tests in Pain and more, you can't help but be intrigued. This book is very easy to understand and has many wonderful suggestions to implement in your writing. The Pen Commandments is geared to the beginning writer and would be great for a student to read.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good! I'm always on the lookout for good books on the art of writing, so I'll have to look this up. Thanks for the review!

    Have you read Woe Is I by Patricia T. O'Conner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one, either, and you're right, the title makes you want to pick this book up. Thanks for the review. I'll be adding this one to my list. Now I'm going to read your book review about Gresh's book. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails