Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Book Review: Half Magic by Edward Eager



Half Magic

Book Description:
It all begins with a strange coin on a sun-warmed sidewalk.

Jane find a coin, and because her and her siblings are having the worst, most dreadfully boring summer ever, she idly wishes something exciting would happen.

And something does: Her wish is granted.

Or not quite. Only half of her wish comes true.

It turns out the coin grants wishes--but only by half, so that you must wish for twice as much as you want.

Wishing for two times something is a cinch, but other doubled wishes only cause twice as much trouble. What half is a twice talking cat? Or to be half again twice not-here? And how do you double your most heartfelt wish, the one you care about so much that it has to be perfect?

My thoughts:
After reading a book review for Magic by the Lake by Edward Eager posted at Worthwhile Books, I ordered Half Magic from the library and read it aloud to my kids. I have never read anything by Edward Eager, so I was in for a real surprise myself. Half Magic was a delightful read and also an extremely funny read. My kids literally were rolling on the floor (and couch or chair, whichever was handy) laughing. There were also many moments I had a hard time reading because I was laughing, too. I don't think anyone could be too old for this story. It is a fun filled adventure of make believe and a story that I think we made a great memory reading it aloud. Highly recommended!

See what others are reading aloud over at Hope Is the Word.

4 comments:

  1. My kids are too old for this. But since my daughter is having her first child later this month I may pick it up for future reads with my future grandchildren. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those books I missed as a child, but it's one I've seen on numerous lists. Thanks for a great review--I'll definitely add it to our tbr chapter books list! :-)

    Thanks for linking up to Read Aloud Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read any of Eager's books but last year I did read one by author Laurel Snyder. She wrote the middle grade book, "Any Which Wall" as a tribute to Edward Eager. Perhaps your kids would enjoy it as well. It might not be quite as funny by the way it sounds from your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked Eager. A book lover's nightmare is recommending a book that no one likes. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails