Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Review: 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

84, Charing Cross Road

Book Description:

It all began with a letter enquiring about second-hand books, written by Helene Hanff in New York, and posted to a bookshop at 84 Charing Cross Road, London. As Helene's sarcastic and witty letters are responded to by the stodgy and proper Frank Doel of 84 Charing Cross Road, a relationship blossoms into a warm, charming, feisty love affair. We follow, in her subsequent letters and in the shop's responses, the trial of one woman;s idiosyncratic path through English literature. Along the way, as Anne Bancroft notes in her introduction, our enjoyment in sharing. Hanff's literary eduction is deepened by the human story her letters tell as she grows ever fonder of her bookselling friends across the ocean.
My thoughts:
84, Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff was recommended to me after I had reviewed The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This truly is a gem of a book about the love of books and reading. I loved the friendship that was formed between Helen and the friends she makes while corresponding with 84, Charing Cross Road. This book is a short  and easy read,  filled with humorous moments and a lasting friendship

3 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my TBR list forever. Thanks for the reminder--I'll have to start looking for it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An oldie, yet a goodie!

    (BTW, I loved hearing "Voice of Truth" when I came to your blog! One of my favorites...)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails