Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Book Review: Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs
Book Description:
The daughter of a struggling greengrocer, Maisie Dobbs was only thirteen when she was sent to work as a maid for wealthy London aristocrats. But being bright and thoughtful beyond her years, Maisie studies her way to Cambridge, then serves as a nurse on the Front during the Great War. Now, it's the spring of 1929, nearly ten years after the Armistice and Maisie has just opened up her own detective agency. Her first assignment, a seemingly open-and-shut infidelity case, will reveal a much deeper, darker mystery, forcing Maisie to revisit the horrors of the war and the ghost she left behind. Refreshing, absorbing, and beautifully rendered, Maisie Dobbs marks the beginning of an incredible new series.

My thoughts:
I picked up Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear by mistake, but decided to read it since it sounded like a mystery I would enjoy. I thought the first two-thirds of the book was a nice story but I decided that I probably wouldn't read any more in the series. But.......then I reached the last part of the story and suddenly the story shifted and I had a very hard time putting it down. Do you know how hard it is to get your kids to do their school work when you have a book just begging to be read? I did finally get the book finished and was greatly touched by the ending. I think it has been a long time since I read a book where the climax fell so close to the end. It was a nice change of pace and I look forward to reading the next in the series, Birds of a Feather.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails