Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A-Z Wednesday



A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicky of Reading at the Beach. To join, look here.

This weeks letter is: J



Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott

Book Description:
When a sledding accident leaves Jack with a broken leg and Jill bedridden, the two inseparable friends become even closer as they recuperate. Rather than dwell on misfortune as the holiday season approaches, Jack and Jill's friends and family resolve to make it the happiest Christmas yet. With the help of Jack's mother, the wealthy Mrs. Minot, anything is possible. Visit from friends, a wonderful Christmas celebration, and the winter theater production are only a few of the joys as they help Jack and Jill recover.

Yet the elders of the town cannot help but wonder how severe the two friends' injuries really are. Will athletic Jack ever be able to play sports as he used to? And will Jill ever be able to walk again? One thing is certain: The accident will change the lives of these close friends forever.

My thoughts:
I have to admit it has been many years since I read this, but I remember enjoying it enough to buy a used copy for my collection. My son, Caleb, just read this and he really enjoyed it. Librivox.org has this on their website and I may download it to my Ipod and "reread" it when I get the time.

7 comments:

  1. We used to read Jack & Jill and dog Spot books when I was in 1st &2nd grades!

    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved Louisa May Alcott when I was a child, but this is one I haven't read. Sounds like a wonderful story. Good choice for a "J" book!
    Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa May Alcott captured a good chunk of my time when I was a kid, and recently, I've been wanting to reread all these books!

    I love the cover!

    Here's mine:

    http://laurel-rain-outonalimb.blogspot.com/2010/04/z-wednesday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have the nursery rhyme planting in the front of my mind! Good job!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/to-z-starts-with-j.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice.
    The blogs I have seen so far are going for the younger ages this week, including me.
    Light and easy reading, we all need that in our life.

    My `J` book is up.
    http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/julie-of-wolves-by-jean-craighead.html

    I also added the I book from last week:
    http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/if-god-is-so-good-why-do-i-hurt-so-bad.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Louisa's books. Have not read this one in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember this classic but do have quite a collection of my own childhood favorites, like a tattered copy of The Tiny Family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails