Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: The Unbearable Lightness of Scones by Alexander McCall Smith



Book Description:
The witty and utterly delightful new novel in the national bestselling 44 Scotland Street series.

Featuring all the quirky characters we have come to know and love, The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, finds Bertie, the precocious six-year-old, still troubled by his rather overbearing mother, Irene, but seeking his escape in the Cub Scouts. Matthew is rising to the challenge of married life with newfound strength and resolve, while Domenica epitomizes the loneliness of the long-distance intellectual. Cyril, the gold-toothed star of the whole show, succumbs to the kind of romantic temptation that no dog can resist and creates a small problem, or rather six of them, for his friend and owner Angus Lordie.

With his customary deftness, Alexander McCall Smith once again brings us an absorbing and entertaining tale of some of Scotland's most quirky and beloved characters--all set in the beautiful, stoic city of Edinburgh.


My thoughts:
The 44 Scotland Street Series by Alexander McCall Smith has become one of my favorite series of books. The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, the fifth book in the series, is a fun read that brings back all the hilariously funny characters and continues their story and the story of my favorite character, Bertie. If you have enjoyed this series you will definitely enjoy The Unbearable Lightness of Scones and if you have never read these I recommend starting with 44 Scotland Street.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read any Alexander McCall Smith but I've always thought that I should give him a shot. I live in Edinburgh myself, so this one sounds like it would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his books, though the last I read was Corduroy mansions, the dog who came in from the cold. I would most enjoy this one I know it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails