Pages

▼

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What's On Your Nightstand - September

{Contains affiliate links}
What's On Your Nightstand

 
For October:
 

From August's Nightstand I read:
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (review)
The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy Sayers - Another Lord Peter Wimsey story. Enjoyable.
Small Changes for a Better Life: Daily Steps to Living Gods Plan for You by Elizabeth George - I can't say anything she covered hasn't been covered in other books, but her books always make me think and show me areas in my life that I need to address.

I am currently reading:
Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lisa TerKeurst

I also read:
Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Austen Takes the South) by Mary Jane Hathaway - I couldn't sleep so I picked this book hoping for something to put me to sleep. Wrong! I ended up reading the whole book. This was a cute story, not the best writing, but it kept my interest.
Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers - I really enjoyed this story. Here are a few teasers.
Keys to High School Success: Get Your Homeschool High School Started Right! (Coffee Break Books) by Lee Binz - Enjoyable read if I can keep myself from being depressed that I haven't done half the things recommended for my current high schooler. Oh well, maybe for the next one.

I listened to:
Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie - Still working my way through Poirot mysteries.
The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley - Loved this story! It is like Robin Hood being set down in Old California. Plenty of action and humor.
Sad Cypress: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) by Agatha Christie - Every once in while one of Christie's books stand out and this was one of them.
The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan - Another fabulous story. If you like a good spy story check this one out.

I didn't read:
The Lemon Jelly Cake by Madeline Smith - This was on my September Nightstand. I just couldn't get into this book. I read over 70 pages and decided I had too many other books to read and chucked it.

See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.

7 comments:

  1. The Scarlet Pimpernel is on my TBR list, too.
    Your Nightstand posts always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intend to read The Scarlet Pimpernel one day but I keep forgetting. Adding it to my list right now. (Done!)

    I had to give up a book this month too. I just couldn't get into it. Why waste time? I'm always proud of myself when I lay down a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Elizabeth George's new book. But it's good to know that there isn't new material covered. I probably wouldn't pick it up even though, like yourself, I get a lot out of what she has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Austen Takes the South) sounds fun.

    I see commenters mentioning The Scarlet Pimpernel but I missed it in your post. I read it years ago and would love to reread it again some time. Loved the film with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour even though it differed from the book.

    I think I have Unglued in my Kindle somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your list - I keep meaning to read Agatha Christie... adding her to my reading list now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I totally just downloaded Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits to my kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article! Understanding human behaviour is essential for effective leadership, better communication, and stronger workplace relationships. DISC Assessment Certification can help professionals develop valuable skills to interpret behavioural styles, support team development, and improve interpersonal understanding. For more insights into DISC assessments, professional training, and leadership development, visit DISC Assessment Certification and explore resources to support your personal and professional growth.

    ReplyDelete